A summer day camp for kids ages K-6 who are dealing with grief and loss. Provided by a partnership of Buhl Regional Health Foundation, Buhl Park, Community Counseling Center, and Highmark Caring Place.
Camp Courage helps children who are experiencing grief and loss by incorporating the fun of camp along with healing activities to help them…
- Understand that their feelings are normal
- Realize that they’re not alone in their grief
- Learn that it’s OK to have fun while still grieving
- Have the opportunity to share their loss and memories
Activities at camp are designed to help kids learn different coping skills, build resilience and have fun.
- Team building activities help develop social skills and emphasize the importance of helping others
- Games teach coping skills that help youth deal with life’s daily stressors in addition to grief
- Arts and crafts help kids express emotions for times when words fall short
- Decompression times help youth learn ways of handling stress and calming strategies
Camp Courage Caregiver Class
The Highmark Caring Place will be providing a Caregiver Class on grief and supporting your camper during the last day of camp, August 4th.
12:30 – Lunch (provided by HMCP)
1:00 – Caregiver Class: 1:00
2:30 – Camp Courage Closing Ceremony (please note transportation home from camp will not be provided on Friday 8/4 due to the Closing Ceremony for all families)
JULY 31 – AUG 4, 2023
Schedule: 9am – 3pm
Buhl Park in Hermitage, PA
To attend Camp Courage, children must be ages K-6 in the 2023-2024 school year and attend school in or reside in Mercer County.
Registration open through June 30.
A licensed independent social worker with grief certification is on-site all week to assist youth with any special needs. All staff and volunteers go through training prior to camp as well as background checks.